Power Requirement for pedals


My pedal asks for a minimum mA power and a specific voltage, how can I be sure that my power supply provides the mA and voltage required?


Your pedal needs at least the mA or milliamp as listed to work correctly. This will be labeled somewhere on the pedal or on the box. For mA, you can use a  power supply that provides much more mA's  than is required, the device will take the power it needs to work and dis-regard the rest. Do not confuse the current (mA's)and the voltage.

  • The current is measured in mA and A which means milliamps & amps.
  • The voltage is measured in mV and V which means millivolts & volts.

When addressing voltage there are some points you need to take care in following:

  • Check the voltage carefully. Even though a current error will not affect your device a voltage error will damage your unit.
  • Be certain the polarity." + " and " - " is not reversed. Some pedals have a protection diode against reverse polarity, others do not. Either way the pedal would need to be serviced at the very least if the polarity is backwards.
  • 90% of our effect pedals are going to require a 9V DC power input with a 2.1mm jack center-negative pin.

The rest require 12V, 18V sometimes with a female mini jack (oldest pedals) and sometimes it needs AC power instead of DC power.

You can use the wall adapter if your pedal is shipped with it from the factory. If you want to power several pedals, you can use a block power supply. The most common ones can provide many outputs with several outlet formats and several voltage 9, 12, 18 volts. These will also offer varying current (mA)

Share this page